Saturday, July 5, 2008

My Orchid Tree

The Orchid Tree is native in India and China and is related to the Redbud tree Jerusalem-Thorn tree and beans. It grows in both South and Central Florida to about 25 feet. It is a deciduous tree with medium green leaves shaped like the footprint of an ox or cow. The flowers look somewhat like an orchid and are about 3-4 inches across. They may be in colors like red, purple, lavender, yellow or white. I started growing this tree 6 years ago and after moving houses, it now sits in a pot, on my back porch. I'm not real big into growing plants, but this tree is a big deal to me. Hopefully I can find a place to put it permanently so it can grow, and it really is one of the prettiest things to see when the flowers come in. I've forgot about it recently because I have not been home, but it kept me company while I barbecued in the rain
all day today. Just me, the barbecue, and the tree.

No comments: