Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Time and Prayer



7 Of this gospel I was made a minister according to the gift of God’s grace, which was given me by the working of his power. To me, though I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9and to bring to light for everyone what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things, 10so that through the church the manifold wisdom of God might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. 11This was according to the eternal purpose that he has realized in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through our faith in him. 13So I ask you not to lose heart over what I am suffering for you, which is your glory.

Ephesians 7:3-13 (ESV)

I find it a wonder to think about how God uses; a letter, a story, a prayer, written thousands of years ago, by a man in prison, to impact the lives and stories of so many. Sometimes I take for granted the time I am given to pray for others, but more importantly the ability to pray. To recognize the goodness of God, the father role he continually fills in my family. In the words of Nouwen, prayer is the unceasing recognition that God is wherever we are, always inviting us to come closer and to celebrate the divine gift of being alive. To some people prayer is a hoax, to some it's just a conversation with God, a plea for help, but it's something way bigger than all of those. It's loving God, and knowing the heart of God, and in this we experience what we desire most, true steadfast love.

No comments: